Name:
Location: West Coast, United States

Hi, welcome to God Desire. My prayer is that you find these writings and accounts an encouragement in your spiritual pilgrimage, wherever you may be. (And check out the great links, including OutcastDisciple.com - my good friend Stephen's weblog.) Press on, Ron Phil 3:14

Friday, February 09, 2007

Reflections on Romans 7

† Oh, the wretchedness of flesh. Lord, how I long to separate myself from it. Yet it is so much a part of me. "Without holiness, no one will see the Lord." Yet, my flesh constantly cries out for that which is unholy. I am so much connected to this wretched flesh that I consider it me, consider the cry of my flesh my own need. Lord help me to separate my spirit from this wretched flesh, and thus wage war on its vileness all the more effectively through Jesus Christ. Amen.†

Consider this example. I torture my body to make it my slave through the strong physical discipline of running and strength training. I beat this body and train it and make it my slave. I resist foods my flesh loves and feed it only healthy foods. What happens? Does my flesh die miserably as it should? No, my body becomes more beautiful through the training. Weight is lost. Muscles are toned. And I become proud of this body. I become proud of the very flesh I am trying to subject. So the very instruments of torture I use to kill this flesh the flesh turns into its own useful weapons to feed my pride, to resuscitate my flesh. And thus I sin more.

I understand more of what Paul is saying. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! (Romans 7:24-25) Ω

11/4/06

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home