Name:
Location: West Coast, United States

Hi, welcome to God Desire. My prayer is that you find these writings and accounts an encouragement in your spiritual pilgrimage, wherever you may be. (And check out the great links, including OutcastDisciple.com - my good friend Stephen's weblog.) Press on, Ron Phil 3:14

Friday, February 09, 2007

Holiness

Rom 8:23

And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.

I spent some time thinking since our Bible study Thursday. Creation is in a state of entropy, according to the second law of thermodynamics, spoken into creation by God Almighty. It's all winding down. But that's not all. Our bodies are part of this system that is breaking down.

I see it every time I go to the gym, though not until this past week have I seen how the Bible speaks to what's going on. Here's what I mean. Lately, I have only been able to strength train once a week, usually on Saturdays or Sundays. Since I have been going only go once a week, I hit it pretty hard. And the following day, now this might be delusional on my part, but I notice some payoff. That bicep is feeling pretty good! But I know that by Friday, if I don't hit it again, it's back to the way it was.

Or what about a more spiritual matter. Praying and being in the Word every morning energizes me. I get to work ready to go, eyes open, looking for God in everything. God's Spirit is powerfully encouraging me through a fresh word and sweet fellowship. But by 1 o'clock, where's all this freshness? Where's all this sweetness? It's pretty much gone, like a balloon deflated by this or that concern.
Now, in the first example, I can see Romans 8:23 in full force. This flesh is part of the present system of corruption. It is in a state of decay, moving always toward entropy, toward deadness (in this case, flab). Only by constant maintenance can this body be as it was, perhaps, designed to remain. Maybe our new resurrection bodies will only require one intense workout to be perfectly fit for all time. Oc course, I'm being facetious. We know that our glorified bodies won't require such things. And, of course, the shape of our bodies will most likely be our last concern in glory. Concerning the second matter. Why is it that our devotional life is always in a state of entropy as well? Our spirit has been regenerated by God's Spirit, right? Have we not been justified and, therefore, made into new creations (2 Cor 5:17)? Perhaps this condition has more to do with sanctification, with the reality Jesus has left us in this world for a time (John 17). God is making us holy heirs with Christ Jesus through sufferings of many kinds (Rom 8:17; Jas 1:2-4). But while we remain in this world, the corruption about us has a deleterious effect on our own spirits unless we abide in the vine (John 15:5). Even a few hours around it brings us down. I think that is why we are commanded to pray ceaselessly. Without this constant maintenance of our own holiness, by the Spirit of God, we will not see the Lord (Heb 12:14).

12/11/06

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home