Name:
Location: West Coast, United States

Hi, welcome to God Desire. My prayer is that you find these writings and accounts an encouragement in your spiritual pilgrimage, wherever you may be. (And check out the great links, including OutcastDisciple.com - my good friend Stephen's weblog.) Press on, Ron Phil 3:14

Saturday, April 14, 2007

The Glory of Christ and Heaven

The glory of Christ in heaven - I think I understand why Jonathan Edwards resolved to think about his death and heaven often. I don't think about heaven enough to make biblical conclusions. There is so much talk about what it will be like. Non-Christians expect bliss, not knowing that that is not their destiny. But even Christians make heaven out of their own desires and idols. "Heaven will be one long golf game," "Heaven will be being thin and eating whatever I want."

This morning as I prayed, God helped me realize, through His word, something I never thought about before. God hears my prayers every single time I pray, and this along with millions of others prayers prayed by my brothers and sisters around the world at the same time. Why do I think, in heaven, God will be confined to one place, His throne in the royal city? Why do I see myself on the outskirts of some large crowd where, only every once in an age I will catch His eye as I worship Him. Even in this fallen world, that is not the case. I may not be able to get an audience with George W., who is so far away and so busy. But the greatest being in the universe in right here all the time, listening intently to every prayer of my heart. "...no eye has seen a God besides you, who acts for those who wait for him" (Isa 64:4)

I like to go some place quiet and pray in the morning. I have always loved to go someplace in nature with my Bible to worship, read and pray. And Jesus is always there. And, like I said, this is in a fallen world. I have never seen His face, but I know He is ever present. The disciples on the Emmaus Road said it best: "Did not our hearts burn?" Mine does when I meet God in prayer, when He speaks to me through His word. But in heaven, I will have a new body in which I can see His glory. And when I walk in those places in heaven, I will never be away from Him. In heaven, my home, I will be with Him all the time. I will always have His audience. We may hold hands, walk arm-in-arm and fellowship for ages together, and He can do this with me at the same time He is doing it with every other child of God in heaven, because He is omnipresent - everywhere!

† Thank You Jesus for heaven. Help me have more and more of a biblical view of what it will be like there. Heaven is for Your glory and my enjoyment of You forever. Everything else is just icing on the cake. You are the cake, the prize, my joy forevermore. Amen. †

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home