Name:
Location: West Coast, United States

Hi, welcome to God Desire. My prayer is that you find these writings and accounts an encouragement in your spiritual pilgrimage, wherever you may be. (And check out the great links, including OutcastDisciple.com - my good friend Stephen's weblog.) Press on, Ron Phil 3:14

Friday, May 19, 2006

The Chaos and Constancy of God’s Will

I have been told all my life, "Walk with God; don't run ahead of Him." But never have I been instructed to take into account how quickly God moves. God is comparable to wind. Wind is not a thing of order, but of chaos. Everything it touches it alters in some way. Should we, mere mortals, try to make order out of God's chaos? No, only God Himself can create order, and that order within His own chaos. I have been invited to take hold of the hem of His garment. How could being instructed to slow down have any feasibility in an invitation of this magnitude? No, only one warning seems plausible with an invitation like this - "Hold on!" When I walk, I find the gap only increasing between God and myself. His mighty wind moves farther and faster than I can even run. Walking, therefore, is completely out of the question. I must become like the wind.

All my life, I have been taught to wait for God's will before proceeding. But this implies that God has not already revealed His will. But there are things in God's will that are constant, that remained fixed. Some actions are elementary. But what about some of the more difficult decisions that I must make? Do God's truths apply constants to these decisions as well? Isn't it always God's will to "make disciples of all nations," to "live by faith, not by sight," to "become all things to all people?" If everything biblical is constant (prescriptive elements, of course), then the amount of questions regarding personal will/destiny should be radically diminished. And the more time I invest in His word, the more "givens" I will find.

To make this line of reasoning more comprehensible, how does God's global will fit into my personal life? If God's will is analogous to a mighty chaotic river and my life to a drop of water flowing in that river, then am I not guaranteed, in becoming part of God's global plan, an assurance of God's will-fulfillment in His personal plan for me? Direction must be granted before moving forward when there is uncertainty, but I am speaking more of personal hesitation to act when God's will is already given. Caution must give way to boldness. Rigidity must bow to fluidity. Wind is not rigid, nor is it cautious. And wisdom and caution are not necessarily synonymous. God is all-wise, but in our eyes, His Spirit may seem reckless and chaotic.

Written on April 12, 2000

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home